These games were organized at the initiative of the late PM Jawaharlal Nehru in 1951 and have been held once in 4 years ever since. Motto, Emblem and Torch of Asian games the AGF adopted ‘Ever Onward’ given by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru as the Motto of the Asian Games. The Emblem is a bright full rising Sun with interlocking rings. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s message to the participants of the first Asian Games “Play the game in the spirit of the game’.
Why it is called Olympics?
This is an international sports festival which originated in the city of Olympia, an ancient city of Greece, situated in the West Peloponnese.
Olympic Motto, Emblem Flag, Creed and Oath
Motto: “Citius, Altius, Fortius”. These are Latin words which mean ‘Swifter, Higher and Stronger’.
Emblem: The emblem is composed of 5 intertwined rings, each of a different color, representing 5 continents of the world placed at the centre of the Olympic Flag
|Color of Rings||Continent Represented|
Flag: The Olympic flag is white in color (originally made of cotton), 3 m x 2 m. the emblem placed in the middle is 206 cm × 60 cm.
Creed: The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.
Olympic Torch: The Olympic flame symbolizes the continuity between the ancient and the modern Olympics.
CUPS AND TROPHIES ASSOCIATED WITH SPORTS
• Air Racing: King’s Cup, Schneider Cup
• Archery: Federation Cup
• Athletics: Charminar Trophy, World Cup
• Badminton: Uber Cup, World Cup, Yonex Cup
• Chess: Naidu Trophy, Khaitan Trophy, Limca Trophy, World Cup, Corus Cup, Amber Cup
• Cricket: Ashes, Asia Cup, Champions Trophy, Duleep Trophy, Gillette Cup, Jawaharlal Nehru Cup, Ranji Trophy, Reliance Cup
• Football: European Cup, Federation Cup, Gold Cup, Lal Bahadur Shastri Trophy, Merdeka Cup, Santosh Trophy, Asia Cup, America Cup, Indira Gandhi Trophy, Rajiv Gandhi Trophy
• Golf: Prince of Wales Cup, Ryder Cup, Walker Cup, US Open, British Open
• Hockey: Agha Khan Cup, Azlan Shah Cup, Champions Trophy, Dhyanchand Trophy, Gurunanak Cup, Indira Gandhi Gold Cup, Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan Cup, Lal Bahadur Shastri Cup, BMW Trophy, Nehru Trophy, Sanjay Gandhi Trophy, Wellington Cup, World Cup.
• Horse Racing: Derby
• Kabaddi: Federation Cup
• Kho-Kho: Federation Cup
• Tennis: Davis Cup, Federation Cup, Hamlet Cup, Mercedes Cup, Nation’s Cup, Wimbledon Trophy, U.S. Open, French Open, Australian Open, Hopman Cup